Fourth & Fifth Grade
It is his second year living in Southwest Michigan and he is excited to be here. Prior to arriving in Sodus, he spent much of his life slowly migrating across the state. He spent his early years in Farmington, Michigan (just outside Detroit) before his parents moved to Ann Arbor and the Kalamazoo area. After graduating from Western Michigan University in 2009, he spent subsequent years teaching and coaching in various capacities within Plainwell Community Schools. In 2016, he moved to Bridgeman, getting acclimated to the area by working as a long-term substitute teacher for fifth and third-grade classrooms at Sylvester Elementary in Berrien Springs. When the opportunity arose to head north a few miles to work within the Sodus Community, he quickly made the jump. We are very excited to have him with us!
Mrs. Hartlerode is a first-year paraprofessional in our 2/3 as well as in our 4/5 classrooms. She may be most recognizable as the previous owner of King’s Landing Grocery Store, right here in Sodus. Mrs. Hartlerode is recently retired and enjoys spending time supporting the students and staff here at River School.
Classroom Supply List 2019-2020 School Year
- Backpack/Book Bag (please label with your child’s name)
- Student Planner (please label with your child’s name)
- 4 dry erase board markers
- 1 pencil bag, not a box
- 1 composition book
- 1 spiral bound wide-rule notebook
- 1 box of eraser caps
- 2 rectangular erasers
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 handheld pencil sharpener that holds the shavings
- 2 glue sticks
- 1 box of crayons and/or colored pencils
- 1 set of sticky notes
- 1 pair of headphones or earbuds
To share with the class: Please do not label
- 3 boxes of pencils (Dixon or Ticonderoga) – non-mechanical
- 2 box of Kleenex
- 1 bottle of hand sanitizer
- 1 container of disinfecting wipes
- 1 box of band-aids
- Ziploc baggies (large and small)
- 1 box of Plain Cheerios or Regular Goldfish crackers
Absences: Please make sure to contact the school or me if your child is going to be absent for the day. It is your child’s responsibility to gather the assignments that were missed and left at his or her spot. He or she has the same number of days to make up the assignments as were missed. (Ex. Absent one day, gather assignments upon returning the next day, due the day after that.)
Allergies: Please note that students in our classroom have allergies to nuts,… Please make sure you do not send in any treats containing these items.
Backpacks: Every student needs to bring to a backpack to school every day. Notes and forms are sent home often and need to be read in a timely manner. To help students learn responsibility and organization students are required to remove required items at the beginning of our day and pack up their backpack at the end of the day on their own. Additionally, they should share notes with you when they get home and pack their backpack before returning to school the next day. Please make sure your child’s backpack is emptied out every evening to keep up to date on your child’s progress and important notes.
- Reading Homework – nightly
- Science and Social Studies – if work is not completed in class or if there is a special project
- Additional assignments may be assigned depending on units.
- Please check and sign your child’s planner nightly to know each day’s assignments.